Tuesday, October 02, 2007

The Big, the Bad and the Ugly

Yes, I have visited all 4 art fairs this weekend. It was: Berlin Preview, 4. Berliner Kunstsalon, Berliner Liste and Art Forum. I admit it was hard, so much art, so much rain. But from all I saw I can point out new/or persisting trends in contemporary art. Of course I mean art, that is being sold on art fairs. So let's take a look:
1. BIG, COLORFUL and UGLY
This trend is not new, long tradition of Leipzig School is still present.
I can understand that BIG paintings are attractive for buyers and collectors, but why do they have to be ugly at the same time?


2. IT'S THE KID, STUPID
Some of the art works were definitely made by children, although nobody admits that. Or... some contemporary artists don't know how to draw... but then, who cares if an artist cannot draw, if he is an Artist! ... or maybe this trend shows that artists do posses the need to go back to the roots, to childhood, to the womb, to point out that they are sensitive and naive like children...



3. STILL the PENCIL
This trend is also not new... pencil drawings... some years ago it was trendy to sign works on the wall with pencil. Still happens, although I thought it would finally be out to do so. Pencils, pencils, pencils... back to the basics.


4. HISTORICAL
Strangely there were many works which reminded me of bad old times of visually unattractive times of the beginning of 20th Century... Is now expressionism back?


5. DESIGN (Plastic IS fantastic!)

Some of the works fit perfectly to the category of design. Design and that is it. So what do they do on art fairs?


6. BOUGHT in 1 EURO SHOP

Few ... oh, no, many works were based on this new neon gadget... If I buy one as well, will I sell my works too?

I did not put any names and titles of works intentionally. Photos are from Art Forum only.

Of course there were many great works, no doubt. It was worth to see everything. I also think that as all non-art-forum fairs had new locations, it was great to see them. And as my personal hit was Kunstsalon. Unfortunately I didn't have my camera...


Eva & Adele & me

2 Comments:

Blogger CpILL said...

your so hard on the art! what did you like?!

4:08 pm  
Blogger Princess von Krenz said...

Oh, I liked a lot... as well... I was just shocked by what is actually popular among art collectors... big and colorful... I always wonder where is their sense of aesthetics... maybe it is me who is wrong and the world is right... the art market is right... I mean.

4:40 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home