Monday, June 07, 2010

The Göttingen experience

Well, it has been quite a long time since I wrote here. In the meantime I've got a baby. Maybe that explains my silence a bit.
However I am still here.
And there are more news. This weekend we went to Göttingen to the "Brettspielautorentreffen" - in English: board game authors' convention.
Why? Because we have developed a board game, we have made a prototype, and we wanted to present it there - not to mention to sell it, be rich - finally - and return to Berlin with a private airplane. It didn't work out like we wanted, but it was still interesting.

Our game, "Ambulance", was unfortunately too drastic for german publishers. An ambulance + a hospital + an accident + victims: (for example) a child + red color = is apparently a no go in german family board games.
Seems they are very careful when it comes to subjects of games. There are for example no war games, not to mention 2. World war games. We have learned from the "boardgamegeek" geek that in the US the market is maybe not so dominated by large board games companies but there are more smaller companies which are more open to "difficult" subjects. Who would expect?
As the professionals (board game companies) were not so interested in our game we have found out that people actually like our game. Not only adults but children. For children both accidents and red color were not so dramatic as for adult game publishers. Interesting again!
So we will not give up, we will continue to promote our game, moreover we will (probably) continue on to develop games. It is such a fun!

2 Comments:

Anonymous G. Ames said...

A large part of my summer internship project involves me researching artefacts from the museum’s collection and putting them online, making them accessible to museum-goers. I’m trying to choose items that are relevant to every generation and meaningful to the average Canadian, a task that’s proved to be very interesting. Today was my first solo foray into the museum’s collections storage, a gigantic room located in the basement of the building. I headed down and was sure to bring my building pass so I could swipe into the collection room, and to also avoid being trapped in a stairwell, as the card is needed to open all doors to exit the stairwell (I keep my pass clipped to my pocket to prevent such debacles from occurring).The collection is pretty big, so I flipped on most of the light switches (to prevent a high level of creepiness from occurring) and started to browse through the aisles. I had decided early on that one of the artefacts I’d look at would be a board game, which is always fun, plus the museum has many, many shelves of them. I dragged over the massive step ladder, climbed to the top, and started looking on the top shelf for any games that stuck out. Here’s what I found: a game from the 1880s called World Educator, a type of trivia game house in a wooden box that reminded me of the game Jumangi.

7:18 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My son would love it. We are also making games - very simple, unprofessional, but with great fun. keep doing this ;-).tomasz

11:44 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home